OMTB Gutter Cleaning
With the rainy season upon us, and the expected heavy rain within the next few days, now is the time to ensure your gutters, as well as any drains, are cleared of any and all debris. If you can’t get to it today, please do so as soon as the weather permits.
Why To Clean Your Rain Gutters
Clean gutters to protect your siding and landscape plantings, and prevent thousands of dollars of damage to your foundation.
In a downpour, a clogged roof gutter sends a cascade of water down the side of your house, making canyons of your flowerbeds and saturating your foundation.
Clean gutters of leaves and debris to help prevent damage to your landscaping and siding, and to head off expensive water damage repairs to your foundation that may cost $10,000 or more.
How Often Should You Clean Gutters?
Clean gutters at least once a year — twice a year if you have overhanging trees. Also, clean clogged gutters after big storms. Clogs often occur where downspouts join the gutter system — check these areas closely.
How to Clean Gutters
- Wear a shirt with long sleeves. Wear rubber gloves.
- Have a good extendable ladder available. Standoff stabilizers (ladder “horns”) are ideal to keep the ladder from damaging the gutter.
- Use a small plastic scoop to remove gunk. Buy a gutter scoop from the hardware store ($25) or try a child’s sand shovel.
- Spare your lawn by dumping the stuff onto a plastic tarp.
- After you’ve cleared the muck, flush the gutters and downspouts with a garden hose — also a great way to spot any leaks.
As always, if you need any help and would prefer we take care of this for you, please give us a call and we will get you on our calendar as soon as possible. We can be reached at – 504-453-5055.
Best regards, and be safe this weekend!