Happy New Year!! As with most people (whether we keep them or not we make New Year’s resolutions for our own personal health and well-being, but it’s also a great time to make resolutions for your home! Here’s just a few ideas:
Yearly Maintenance Ideas: Pressure Wash Home and Driveway, Clean and Re-Secure Gutters, Caulk all Windows and Doors, Freshen Up Interior/Exterior Paint, Repair Decks and any Rotten Wood, Repairs Fence Boards, Change Filters and Batteries in Smoke Detectors.
Larger Progect Ideas: Build Backyard Deck, Remodel Kitchen and Bathroom, Install Hardwood Floors or Ceramic Backsplash, Paint Entire House, Install New Fence, etc.
Try these tips for creating a home maintenance budget:
1. Build a reserve. Set aside 1 percent to 3 percent of your home’s purchase price each year in a separate savings account specifically for home maintenance and repairs. For example, if your home cost $300,000, set aside at least $3,000 each year. Make one large deposit or spread the amount out in monthly deposits.
2. Assess your needs. Prioritize projects and work within your budget. Increase your budget as needed for bigger projects. For instance, if you know the furnace needs to be replaced, get an estimate and start saving for it.
3. Conserve energy. Minimize gas and electricity costs by using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs.
4. Do it yourself. Depending on your level of comfort with a hammer and drill, consider doing minor repairs around the home yourself.
5. Use credit wisely. Cut expenses and save money first. Avoid opening new credit cards or getting a home equity loan to fund major remodeling projects.
As you get your list together, please give us a call and we can help tackle the smaller repairs, and also work with you in creating a budget and forecasting for the larger projects. CALL TODAY so we can help start this year off right – 504-453-5055!
We look forward to a wonderful 2019 and helping you have the home of your dreams!